+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 206 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Phillies Minor League Thread

RIP DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ's Avatar

2011 Phillies Minor League Thread

Lehigh Valley IronPigs (AAA)
    Office/Mailing Address: 1050 IronPigs Way, Allentown, PA 18109-3590
    Telephone: (610) 841-PIGS (7447)
    Fax: (610) 841-1509
    Email Address: [email protected]
    Roster: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t1410

Reading Phillies (AA)
    FirstEnergy Stadium
    1900 South Centre Avenue
    P.O. Box 15050
    Reading, PA, 19612
    Phone: (610) 375-8469
    Fax: (610) 373-5868
    Roster: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t522

Clearwater Threshers (A)
    Bright House Networks Field
    601 Old Coachman Road
    Clearwater, FL, 33765
    Phone: (727) 712-4300
    Fax: (727) 712-4498
    Roster - http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t566

Lakewood BlueClaws (A)
    FirstEnergy Park
    2 Stadium Way
    Lakewood, NJ, 08701
    Phone: (732) 901-7000
    Fax: (732) 901-3967
    Roster - http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t427

Williamsport Crosscutters (A)
    Bowman Field
    1700 West 4th St.
    Williamsport, PA 17701
    Phone: (570) 326-3389
    Fax: (570) 326-3494
    Roster - http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t449

Gulf Coast League Phillies (R)
    Carpenter Complex
    651 Old Coachman Rd.
    Clearwater, FL, 33765
    Phone: (727) 799-0503
    Fax: (727) 726-1793
    Roster - http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t469
    Last edited by DOUGESQ; 12-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Truckin->Other One ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd has a reputation beyond repute ek'd's Avatar
    ryne sandberg is the AAA manager

-ek twatter
    "one more day, i find myself alive"-Jerry Garcia

The Phillies will have minor league teams in 2011

-WW twitter
    The best team won and then Ruben Amaro Jr. was hired and ****ed it all up

Terrible pun mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    phew. i have been looking for the fax number for the Williamsport Crosscutters FOREVER. thanks, doug!
    Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    MT you don't post as much anymore but when you do it's clear you are the absolute worst
    Quote Originally Posted by KrukNut View Post
    it's posts like that that really make me hate MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    Classic MT

RIP DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ has a reputation beyond repute DOUGESQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcal View Post
    phew. i have been looking for the fax number for the Williamsport Crosscutters FOREVER. thanks, doug!
    Please don't bother faxing them with your orders for the Roy Rogers next to the ballpark.

keeping it unreal MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun has a reputation beyond repute MidnightSun's Avatar
    i live 15 mins away from the iron pigs stadium, true story.
    "Seriously why do you even watch baseball? the game is determined off the field by a series of equations that you will never understand."

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
    i live 15 mins away from the iron pigs stadium, true story.
    Is there a Roy Rogers near the stadium?

found this scouting report on Sebastian Valle. it moved. the guy thinks Valle is top four in positional players he scouted. Singleton is also in that top four. wow.

http://scoutingthesally.com/?p=2515

On the way to the park to see Philadelphia Phillies catching prospect Sebastian Valle, I knew I was in for something special when a scout I was speaking to kept asking me, “What did you think of Valle?” When I finally mentioned it was my first time seeing him, his response, “Oh, I’m not saying anything else. Just call me and tell me what you think.” For whatever reason, I had a picture in my mind of a hulking power prospect doing his best catcher impression while putting off the inevitable move out from behind home plate. It’s safe to say, my preconceived idea of the player Valle was was prior to watching him play was off base.

Why not use Scouting the Sally as your “Personal Scout” throughout the 2011 season?

Physical Projection: Instead of the big bodied catcher I was expecting to see, Valle turned out to be well-proportioned and athletic. His quick, fluid movements combined with explosive power leaves him as arguably the best catching prospect I’ve had the opportunity to scout. As he continues to mature, he may add a bit more size through the back and shoulders. Should fill out to 6’1″, 200 lbs. or so, he would be left with the ideal catcher’s build combining athleticism, as well as the strength and durability required for the position.

Offense: With quick hands and explosive wrists, Valle generates excellent bat head speed through the zone and put on a show, both in batting practice, and game action. In hitting two home runs, as well as a double and 400+ foot fly ball, Valle showed close to elite in-game power. In the eight or so at bats plus batting practice I was able to see, Sebastian Valle was the most impressive bat on the field including Jonathan Singleton.

Of course it’s also important to also look at Valle’s deficiencies which became apparent when breaking down his video. With a pronounced upper cut swing, Valle’s bat head remains in the zone for a short time which explains some of the swing-and-miss in his approach. However, his swing plane levels out quite a bit in batting practice leading me to believe he can find a happy medium. Additionally, his swing is high effort causing him to swing out of his shoes on occasion. Once again, another trait indicative of a prospect with a tendency to strike out.

In general, I look at prospects like Valle with significant pre-swing movement and almost always conclude that it needs some quieting. In his case, however, his movements come to an abrupt stop pre-swing leaving him in a strong hitting position. If there is truly an area which could use some quieting, it’s his leg kick as it’s easy to envision such a pronounced load and need to uncoil would leave him susceptible to offspeed pitches.

Defense: While Valle needs some refinement defensively, I saw nothing which would lead me to believe he can’t be at least a functional big league catcher. His home-to-second times between innings were so-so, but .10-.15 of a second could quickly be knocked off that time should he improve his transfer pre-throw. A key in releasing the ball quickly is funneling the ball from the glove straight to the ear. In Valle’s case, his hands make more of a semi-circle to his ear instead of a straight line after receiving the ball with one hand. It’s a repairable flaw, but one which will require re-training muscle memory.

When receiving and blocking, the only real red flag I was able to spot was a tendency to let pitches to his backhand side take his glove which cost a few strikes in game action. Instead, I’d like to see him get around those pitches and work them back in towards the plate.

Speed: He’s athletic enough to not clog the bases. However, he has absolutely no stolen base ability to speak of which is fine because he’s a catcher.

After seeing Valle play a couple of times, I understood the excitement surrounding him in the scouting community. Personally, he’s in the top-4 of position prospects I saw last season with teammate Jonathan Singleton, Colorado Rockies farmhand Nolan Arenado, and New York Mets prospect Cesar Puello. Valle will probably never be a high average hitter, but his power and athleticism from the catching position leaves him as a coveted commodity. Should the Philadelphia Phillies need a bat or two at the 2011 trade deadline, expect Valle to be at or near the top of any trade potential trade partners shopping list as catchers with 20-25 home run pop are hard to come by.

So hideous for a boy. Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine has a reputation beyond repute Doll Is Mine's Avatar
    According to Baseball America, the Phillies Top 10 prospects in 2011...

1. Domonic Brown, of
    2. Jonathan Singleton, 1b/of
    3. Brody Colvin, rhp
    4. Jarred Cosart, rhp
    5. Trevor May, rhp
    6. Sebastian Valle, c
    7. Jiwan James, of
    8. Jesse Biddle, lhp
    9. Domingo Santana, of
    10. Aaron Altherr, of

For a team that has lost more games than any other in major league history, the Phillies are in heady territory. Though they fell short of their third straight National League pennant in 2010, it would be hard to argue that this isn't the best era in franchise history.

Philadelphia finished with the best record in the majors for the first time in franchise history, despite injuries to Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, and looked on track to reach a third consecutive World Series before tripping up against the Giants in the NL Championship Series.

Long-pursued trade target Roy Halladay finally came over from the Blue Jays in an offseason deal that cost the Phillies three of their top prospects in righthander Kyle Drabek, catcher Travis d'Arnaud and outfielder Michael Taylor. Halladay won Baseball America's Major League Player of the Year award after pitching a perfect game in May and finishing 21-10, 2.44. In his playoff debut, he no-hit the Reds in the Division Series opener.

The Halladay trade continued the Phillies' recent habit of sending away prospects for elite pitching help, which continued when they went out and got Roy Oswalt from the Astros in July, in exchange for J.A. Happ and minor leaguers Anthony Gose and Jonathan Villar. Deals for Joe Blanton in 2008, Cliff Lee in 2009 and Halladay and Oswalt in 2010 sent away a significant amount of young talent, but accomplished the goal of keeping the team on top while its nucleus of everyday players is at its peak. Philadelphia tried to recoup some young talent by trading Lee to Mariners after acquiring Halladay, but righthanders Phillippe Aumonth and J.C. Ramirez and outfielder Tyson Gillies all had forgettable seasons.

The one player the Phillies steadfastly have refused to deal is outfielder Domonic Brown, No. 1 on this list for the last three years. There isn't much upper-level depth behind Brown, but the system does have lower-level talent with upside. Said one scout last summer: "No team has more talent in A-ball than the Phillies."

Low Class A Lakewood has won back-to-back South Atlantic League titles. After Brown, the next six prospects on this list all played for the BlueClaws in 2010, including sweet-swinging first baseman Jonathan Singleton and hard-throwing righthanders Brody Colvin and Jarred Cosart.

Assuming he takes over from departed free agent Jayson Werth as the everyday right fielder in 2011, Brown will be the first homegrown position player to join the Philadelphia lineup since Howard in 2005. The organization hopes he's the beginning of a wave of youngsters who will reinvigorate an aging team. The 2010 lineupóroughly the same one that has won four consecutive NL East titlesówas by far the oldest in the league, with an average age of 31.9 years.

Whether because of age or the growing payroll that accompanies trading for proven major leaguers, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. may have to tweak his approach going forward. For now, the Phillies have become a model of consistency: a major league core of stars signed for the foreseeable future, with a commitment to player development. If the current group can keep winning for another year or two, the talent in the lower minors should arrive just in time.

One veteran scouting director said it's possible that the Phillies could go on a Braves-like run of division titles.

Senior Member Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck has a reputation beyond repute Crowhuck's Avatar
    http://www.csnphilly.com/01/10/11/Ph...753&feedID=704

Phils prospects 'excited and nervous' as spring nears
    By Jim Salisbury
    CSNPhilly.com

The ball hadn’t been in Tramon Williams’ hands for more than a second when Philadelphia sporting wags, almost in unison, pronounced, “Thirty-five days till pitchers and catchers.”

While the end of the Eagles’ season – Williams’ interception of a Michael Vick pass finalized Green Bay’s playoff win Sunday – started the countdown to spring training for many Philadelphia fans, it began long ago for a handful of young men who are spending a few days in town learning some of the subtleties that come with being a major league baseball player.

“I’m excited and nervous, all at the same time,” Matt Rizzotti said of his first trip to big-league spring training camp.

Rizzotti, a 25-year-old first baseman who swings a strong bat, is one of six Phillies’ prospects taking part in a two-day seminar at Citizens Bank Park. The other players in attendance are infielder Harold Garcia and pitchers Michael Schwimer, Michael Stutes, Chris Kissock and Justin De Fratus. Shortstop Freddy Galvis could not make it because of travel issues in Venezuela.

While in Philadelphia, players receive instruction on many phases of big-league life – “What it is to be a Phillie,” De Fratus said – including handling the glare of media attention. The event is geared toward prospects that are close to the majors, and the lessons they learn could come in handy as they get ready to attend major-league spring training for the first time in their careers.

The first workout for pitchers and catchers is Feb. 14 in Clearwater, Fla., and while established major leaguers might cherish the final month of the offseason, those making their first trip to big-league camp can’t wait to get started.

“I’m ecstatic,” Schwimer said. “There are really no words for it. It’s what I’ve wanted to do my whole life.”

“I think about it every day,” De Fratus added. “I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t. It was my dream growing up – not just going to big-league camp, but playing in the big leagues. This is a step.”

Schwimer, De Fratus, Stutes and Kissock are all right-handed relievers who had promising seasons in 2010. The Phils’ bullpen could undergo some transition in the next year or two – already free-agent Chad Durbin appears headed elsewhere – and club officials will be monitoring in-house possibilities closely this season. To get a head start on that process, the team invited Schwimer and Stutes, both 24, to big-league camp. De Fratus, 23, is on the 40-man roster and that includes an automatic invite. Kissock, 25, is scheduled to attend minor-league camp.

Schwimer, a University of Virginia product, went 7-5 with a 2.85 ERA in 48 games at Double-A and Triple-A last season. Stutes, who pitched for the NCAA champs at Oregon State, was 7-1 with a 3.42 ERA in 53 games at Double-A and Triple-A.

De Fratus, who pitched for Ventura College in California, may be the most intriguing pitcher of the lot. In his first full season as a reliever, he went 3-0 with a 1.94 ERA in 49 games at Single-A and Double-A. He is often mentioned as someone to keep an eye on in spring training, a sleeper to make the club or someone who could help as the season unfolds.

De Fratus is aware of that talk.

“I guess it’s flattering,” he said. “But I have to take care of my business. Right now, I have the opportunity to go to big-league camp and nothing more. It’s up to me to take advantage of it and see what kind of position I can put myself in. If I don’t make the team out of camp, that’s fine. I just have to go to the minor leagues and work hard so I can one day be part of this team.”

De Fratus, who saved 21 games in the minors in 2010, has a power arm. His fastball reaches the mid-90s and he throws a slider.

All of the players taking part in this week’s seminar met with reporters in the Phillies’ clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park. De Fratus looked around the room at some of the names above lockers – Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt.

“It’s overwhelming to think I might have an opportunity to one day be a part of a staff that might be one of the greatest of all time,” he said. “All I can do is put myself in a position to make the club.”

Rizzotti and Garcia both had memorable seasons in 2010. Garcia, a 24-year-old Venezuelan, set a Florida State League record by hitting in 37 straight games. (The old record had stood for 49 years.) For the season, Garcia hit .305 with eight homers and 64 RBIs in 101 games at Single-A and Double-A.

Rizzotti had one of the best offensive seasons in all of minor-league ball when he hit .343 with 17 homers and 76 RBIs in a season that took him from Single A to Triple-A. A left-handed hitter, Rizzotti batted .333 with 12 RBIs in 19 games in the Arizona Fall League.

Terrible pun mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    bump for minor leagues
    Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    MT you don't post as much anymore but when you do it's clear you are the absolute worst
    Quote Originally Posted by KrukNut View Post
    it's posts like that that really make me hate MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    Classic MT

+ Reply to Thread