+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eagles bench Coleman, Matthews; Allen, Rolle to start Sunday

The One justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eagles bench Coleman, Matthews; Allen, Rolle to start Sunday

Eagles bench Coleman, Matthews; Allen, Rolle to start Sunday

By Justin Adkins

When a team with Super Bowl dreams starts 1-2, heads are gonna roll. The process usually starts with the most underperforming area(s), so itís no surprise the Eagles have made changes at linebacker and safety.

Effective this Sunday against the 49ers, the Eagles are benching rookie fourth-round pick and starting weak side (and middle) linebacker Casey Matthews, replacing him with rookie sixth-round pick Brian Rolle. At free safety, second-year player Kurt Coleman is giving way to fellow second-year player Nate Allen.

Itís about time.

Matthews was installed as the starting middle linebacker from day one, but he struggled badly in the first two weeks of the season. He was constantly out of place and over running plays, or worse, was getting run over.

In Week 3, he was moved to the weak side, with last yearís starter at middle linebacker Jamar Chaney taking over. The change didnít help as Matthews struggled again, highlighted by a terrible play where he bit on play action and allowed Brandon Jacobs to run free down the sideline and catch an easy touchdown pass.

We wish Matthews the best of luck in his new special teams career. Itís where he should have been from the jump.

As for Coleman, he got himself benched against the Giants Sunday for looking like heíd never made a tackle before. Itís disappointing since Coleman had previously looked like a nice success story, a big hitter taken in the seventh round last year who made his way to NFL starter.

He will now hand the reigns over to last yearís second-round pick in Nate Allen, who himself looked promising until he went down last year with a late season knee injury. The problem is, Allen has looked far from healthy and itís hard to imagine he will be much of an improvement. Hopefully the knee will regain its form quickly and Allen can start to contribute.

The Eagles better hope these changes payoff quickly, because a strong test is coming as they prepare to host San Francisco. Between powerful running back Frank Gore and superbeasto tight end Vernon Davis, the 9ers could make it a very long day for the defense.

With a banged up quarterback in Mike Vick and a receiver in Jeremy Maclin hobbled by a gimpy hamstring, the Eagles are staring down the barrel of 1-3. Not exactly the record of a Dream Team.

If the playcalling, game management, and these defensive tweaks donít work, things are going to get really ugly, really quickly.

Pro-Tebow. God Bless. mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good and good, but lol at the Eagles' top four picks this year being either deactivated or benched.

The One justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin has a reputation beyond repute justin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It really is amazing that they went "all in" and finally got aggressive but still **** the bed in the draft and left massive holes across the roster.

I know right, in madden i just traded and signed for a new lb corp, new cbs, new safeties, and a new ol and it was so easy, freakin amatuers in the FO Are worthless

I feel much better now that we're starting a 6th round LB instead of a 4th rounder. He can't be worse (can he?), but it shows you just how pathetic our linebacking corps is. In a lifetime of ignoring the position, this is no doubt the worst group of LBs Reid has ever had. Can Kirkland come out of retirement? Trotter?

Does anyone think that Reid and company do a good job in the draft? I mean, this is the same formula year after year and it still hasn't brought the Eagles to the promised land. Reid is a good coach when he has time to plan, but in game decisions are not his forte.

Pro-Tebow. God Bless. mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt has a reputation beyond repute mpt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love how not a single person is talking about Kurt Coleman's performance from today. You know why? Because it was a one-time thing. Right place, right time'd.

Quote Originally Posted by psub View Post
    I love how not a single person is talking about Kurt Coleman's performance from today. You know why? Because it was a one-time thing. Right place, right time'd.
    He'll be exposed next game again when he's facing a better QB and better receivers. As you said, right place, right time. I hope he's able to enjoy it for what it was: a brief shining moment.

Meh, even outside of the picks he played a good game. Much better in run support and open field tackling than page.

Terrible pun mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psub View Post
    in everyone's defense, no one's really talking about anything eagles related right now, on here at least.

rip swing
    Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    MT you don't post as much anymore but when you do it's clear you are the absolute worst
    Quote Originally Posted by KrukNut View Post
    it's posts like that that really make me hate MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    Classic MT

I like Coleman, he seems to have good instincts and appears to be a smart player. Doesn't have ideal athleticsm or speed or physical size, and he can look all world against Grossman and their slew of **** receivers. If he has similar success against Dallas in two weeks i'll start to believe more. I think he's a nice backup/special teamer but not a starter on a top defense.

+ Reply to Thread