+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well, Jose Fernandez isn't coming here when he hits free agency

I'm surprised "Bel" didn't blame the reef or the lighting on the boat, or tell people to wait until he could examine the service records of the craft so he could deem it seaworthy or not.
    Copyright 2011 ADK Innovations, LLC dba Philly Sports Central ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Terrible pun mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal has a reputation beyond repute mtcal's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    friend's fb status few days back:

5 hrs Gulfport, MS
    I had Jose Fernandez on my fantasy team. As reports of his death were coming out, I got a push alert from Yahoo that said, Jose Fernandez' status has changed from "healthy" to "day to day". Does yahoo know something I don't about the finality of death?
    Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    MT you don't post as much anymore but when you do it's clear you are the absolute worst
    Quote Originally Posted by KrukNut View Post
    it's posts like that that really make me hate MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    Classic MT

He missed free agency and hit a jetty.
    You are probably the biggest contributor to the depressingness

KrukNut on 1960.

Jose Fernandez was upset following an argument with his girlfriend and summoned two friends for the late-night boating expedition that ended in the death of the 24-year-old Miami Marlins pitcher and his companions, according to reports that detailed the final evening of his life.

Eddy Rivero and Emilio Macias were killed along with Fernandez when a 32-foot fishing boat – which authorities said Monday was owned by Fernandez – crashed into a jetty sometime before 3 a.m. Sunday morning as it traveled southbound back toward Miami Beach.

Fernandez's friends joined him only after Marlins teammates turned down his offer to go on the late-night trip on the water.

"That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out,’” outfielder Marcell Ozuna told the Miami Herald. “Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water. I told him I couldn’t go out that night because I had the kids and my wife waiting for me.

“He told me if I didn’t hear from him by 10 a.m. (Sunday) to call him and wake him up so he could get back to the ballpark on time for the game. I told him, ‘yeah no problem, I’ll call you.’ I woke up Sunday and that’s when I found out. I cried and cried."

Will Bernal, a close friend of Rivero’s, exchanged text messages with Rivero after midnight urging him not to go on the boat and posted the exchange on his Instagram account Monday.

Bernal urged Rivero to keep his iPhone tracker activated and he followed the boat’s movements to its stop at American Social, a dockside restaurant and bar where managers confirmed Fernandez visited. Macias, 27, lived near the restaurant and they picked him up there.

Authorities said signs of drugs or alcohol were not present at the crash site. Toxicology reports are pending.

Bernal and others described Fernandez as under some stress Saturday; the Miami Herald said the impetus was an argument with his girlfriend, who is pregnant with their first child. Yahoo Sports reported that Fernandez asked Marlins teammates to join him on the expedition, but they declined.

Fernandez contacted Rivero sometime after the Marlins’ game against the Atlanta Braves, which ended at 10:30 p.m. ET, and Rivero left a birthday party to join him. They picked up Macias on the boat thereafter.

King Breather John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute
    such a bro move to speed at night

real tough guy

sounds like mcbrickster when he's down at the keys, only none of the 3 involved were in the janitors union
    Copyright 2011 ADK Innovations, LLC dba Philly Sports Central ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Quote Originally Posted by mtcal View Post
    friend's fb status few days back:

5 hrs Gulfport, MS
    I had Jose Fernandez on my fantasy team. As reports of his death were coming out, I got a push alert from Yahoo that said, Jose Fernandez' status has changed from "healthy" to "day to day". Does yahoo know something I don't about the finality of death?
    I'm guessing that Jose's unborn child is probably day-to-day now as well.

5 hrs Gulfport, MS

Quote Originally Posted by e-five View Post
    Unfortunately, Philadelphia is all too familiar with this.

RIP

This guy was a face of MLB. Such a great story. To have it end like that? Wow.

Reminds me or Pelle and Jerome even though the Flyers lost Dmitri to a boating accident like Jose. Pelle was just about to become a huge, huge star in the NHL, people thought Jerome might have been starting a HoF career. Was Fernandez a top 3-5 pitcher in all of baseball?

BS is right. I remember when Yannick got cancer and died. And Barry getting leukemia is the reason they have the carnival. Poor Roger got cancer and eventually got pushed out from behind the Flyers bench in favor of Craig. And it wasn't pro hoops, but Hank was a local guy. Bo picked up his mantle and succeeded for the both of them, though.

----------------

Scottish Eagle is "genuinely gutted about this news. Appropriate that he pitched 8 shutout innings with 12 strikeouts in his final start. Just another day at the office for him."

He probably would have been really embarrassed to go into the afterlife on a 5 ip 3er 2bb 6k effort, that's for sure.

---------------

I just left Miami last Tuesday to see family and didn't see this coming

R.I.P...

Poor Wynnron. Didn't notice the clouds of doom hanging over the kid. Couldn't tell a boat crash was imminent. At least he could tie this tragedy into his vacation. Could have been him, for sure.
    Guys remember when someone else died too?
    Forgive me if watching the 76ers, the Flyers, the Primaries and typing on Twitter that I didn't spell it out until you started acting an ass, but I guess I should have expected your nature to reveal itself.

I only remember them by their first name. remember when death was taking all the Sixers' big men of old? Darryl, Moses, et al.

Jose Fernandez' death reminded Swing how short life can be, the first thing he did after reading this thread was close his laptop, tell his wife he loves and appreciates her, and gave his kids a big hug.

King Breather John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute John Gulbunney has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    Jose Fernandez' death reminded Swing how short life can be, the first thing he did after reading this thread was close his laptop, tell his wife he loves and appreciates her, and gave his kids a big hug.

+ Reply to Thread