+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Nerlens" Noel's defense

"Nerlens" Noel's defense

isn't even that good. He hustles and can defend the perimeter, but when he does that he doesn't do his main job. Whiteside slapped him around like a little boy tonight.
    Copyright 2011 ADK Innovations, LLC dba Philly Sports Central ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

And Saric flat out stinks. Time to track his flight back to Turkey.
    Copyright 2011 ADK Innovations, LLC dba Philly Sports Central ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

without Embiid and Simmons this team is atrocious

not a big shock

you wouldn't think that's the case based on what Sixers fans think. Swing thinks Dario Garbage is a future MVP candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    isn't even that good. He hustles and can defend the perimeter, but when he does that he doesn't do his main job. Whiteside slapped him around like a little boy tonight.
    pp999 right again

Defensive field goal percentage is my favorite statistic in all of basketball. It puts one's offensive field goal percentage in better perspective. Someone who scores well may not defend well, just as someone who scores inefficiently may consistently cause their counterpart to be worse. True defensive field goal percentage wold be more accurate (accounting for threes, and free throws). But straight DFG% adds nuance, yet remains simple, and excludes a lot of noise.

Defensive field goal percentage is more reliable than steals and blocks, in my opinion. This has been known for decades. Players can actually play pretty bad defense by trying to pad their stats with steals and blocks, instead of gaining and maintaining good position.

Plus, I like defensive field goal percentage more than other "advanced" metrics because most if not all of them a) depend on the players around the object, and b) apply subjectively determined coefficients to multiple factors.

Let's take a look DFG% meets the smell test for the Sixers in 2016-2017:

Robert Covington 42.0
    TLC 42.3

Gerald Henderson 45.6
    Dario Saric 46.5
    TJ Maxx 46.8
    Stauskas 47.3
    Sergio Rodriguez 50.6

As the eye test confirms, Robert Covington and TLC were our best perimeter defenders last year. And as the eye test also confirms, it wasn't even close.

TJ Maxx and Saric are gritty defenders, but not especially talented. At least they performed almost as well as veteran Gerald Henderson

As expected, Stauskas was kind of weak, and Sergio Rodriguez (who you need on the court to stretch the floor for Okafor) was a sieve!

So far, so good for DFG%

Joel Embiid 40.9

Not only is Joel Embiid an offensive force of nature, both inside and outside. His defensive field goal percentage is phenomenal!
    There are only 8 players ahead of him who contested more than 8shots/gm in more than 50 games. They include Draymond Green, Kevind Durant and Klay Thompson.

Jerami Grant 42.2
    Jerami Grant 41.1 (2015-2016)

NBA Select Team member Jerami Grant rates well, and explains why we got more for him than Nerlens Noel.

Richaun Holmes 50.3
    Tiago Splitter 53.8

On the not so good side, Tiago Splitter is accurately described as a poor defender.

And surprising to some, Richaun Holmes does not rate well. He is slow laterally and not particularly quick off his feet in the post. Most of his blocks come from help defense. They look spectacular. But they mask the fact that post players bury him under the basket and score with relative ease.

Nerlens Noel 50.2

Even more surprising to some, Nerlens is also a poor traditional post defender. The help blocks are fantastic. But guys like Luis Scola push Nerlens under the rim and score.

This doesn't negate the fact that Nerlens is one of the most wonderful pick and roll defenders in the league. He also scares teh bejeezus out of guards when flares out to the perimeter.

But offenses also know how to attack Nerlens. After the trade, he vacillated between Dallas starting lineup and their bench.

Jahlil Okafor 49.2!!!

Which brings us to the fun fact of the evening.

Okafor is not a good defender. But he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He keeps bigger centers further from the rim than Noel or Holmes, and uses his long wingspan to deter shots. Noel allowed people close to the basket so he could block their shots, but often just got scored on. And people who diss Okafor ignore the deficiencies of other players, namely Holmes and Noel. I'm a Sixers fan, and so long as he's on the team, I will try to judge him fairly.

Is DFG right about everyone else, and wrong about Okafor?

Let's look at last year, 2015-2016:

Covington 44.1
    Jerami Grant 41.1

Covington and Grant grade out the best, as one would expect.

Hollis Thompson 46.0
    Isaiah Canaan 47.0
    TJ McConnell 47.8
    Ish Smith 48.5
    Kendall Marshall 51.0
    Carl Landry 51.3

Everyone else was piss-poor, highlighted by Kendall Marshall, as one would expect.

Nerlens Noel 47.8
    Richaun Holmes 50.3

Richaun Holmes consistently gives up 50% to opponents.
    Nerlens is better than Holmes in the paint, and certainly better deterrence in space. Yet he got bullied in the post.

Jahlil Okafor 47.6

I'm just going to leave that there.
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...abcb3504f60421

Quote Originally Posted by pp999 View Post
    The Academy of Karate Martial Arts Supplies is one of the largest martial arts supply companies in the USA and has been serving martial arts enthusiasts for over 26 years. We feature a wide selection of katana, fighting gear, karate uniforms, bo staffs and other martial arts weapons. We offer training equipment for tae kwon do, judo, karate, kung fu, ninjitsu and mixed martial arts. Be sure to check out our large selection of martial arts shoes, martial arts dvds and karate party items, all at wholesale prices. One-stop shopping for all your martial arts needs.

We are located in Southern New Jersey, one mile from Philadelphia. For directions to our 4,000 sq. ft. retail showroom and 67,000 sq. ft. warehouse CLICK HERE.

lol. One day I'm going to go there.

glad Collars got rid of Noel before someone read that article.

I'll allow it

I've Got Hard Nips rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89 has a reputation beyond repute rncd89's Avatar
    I wish they got the two picks so they could have taken Isaac as Nerlen's "defensive" replacement while adding better offense and actual positional versatility
    If your not mad at this sentence. Than they're is something wrong with you.

+ Reply to Thread